9 January 2017

How to Maintain a Full Fringe

It's January 2017 which means it's the time of year when people crowd into the hair dressers and demand a complete makeover. It's all about the new year, new me. January is the most common season for people to change their appearance, and you'll notice that a lot of people will be getting full fringes cut and styled. If it hadn't occurred to you already, I have a full fringe and it's something I've had for over six years. I first got my fringe cut when I was 12 years old, after pestering my Mum for years to let me have one (the reason she'd been against it previously is because the growing out process can be such a pain). And since then, it's become a part of who I am. I don't know if it's a good thing but my fringe is the thing people remember me for. 

I would consider myself an expert on all things 'full fringe'; I've tried every technique, every product and every style. There's nothing I don't know. When I was 12 I really didn't look after my fringe and it was this greasy, string like thing covering my forehead; I look back on photos of myself and wonder what the hell I was thinking. However, as I grew older and took more pride in my appearance I picked up various techniques in order to keep my fringe looking perfect (most of the time). I base my hairstyle on my style icons Zoeey Deschannel and Audrey Hepburn; their effortless, natural beauty is something I find so inspiring. 

Most people keep their fringes for a month or two, get fed up of them and then start the painful growing out process. However, I've managed to keep up with mine for over six years and people always ask me how I do it, but it's really quite simple. This is why I'm going to give you my top tips for people with full fringes; what to ask for when you go for it cut and how to maintain it. 

 Commit To Them
Whispy bangs are not the way forward. If you're 100% sure that you want a full fringe then you need to commit to it, none of this micro fringe or whispy fringe business. The main reason that I got my fringe cut was to cover my big forehead, and I got it cut to just underneath my eyebrows which is the common length. Full fringes all depend on your face shape so if you're not really sure if it's for you then ask your hair dresser and they'll give you their honest opinion. 

 Wash it Everyday
There's nothing I hate more than having a greasy fringe and this will be a common problem for you. Because your fringe goes over your forehead, it collects the dirt and oil which can make it look greasy. In order to stop this, and to make sure your fringe looks flawless at all times, make sure you wash it everyday. I wash mine under the tap with a little bit of shampoo and then dry it as normal. If your fringe looks clean then it gives the illusion that the rest of your hair is clean too. Spray a bit of dry shampoo on your roots and you'll be good to go! 

♥ Go for it Trimmed Regularly
This is the most time consuming thing about having a fringe, because it seems like the minute you go for it trimmed, it's grown again and you have to go back. I go for my fringe trimmed every two to three weeks in order to maintain it's length. Most hair dressers offer this service for free if you're a regular customer. However if you're not, fringe trims can cost between £3 and £5. 

♥ Make sure your Hairdresser chips into it. 
When you go for your fringe cut, whether it be the first time or just for a trim, do not get a blunt fringe. These are harder to manage and style. Instead ask your hairdresser to chip into your fringe, this feathers it and prolongs the time until your next trim. Plus, it looks more natural. 

♥ Curl it under
When your fringe starts to get long, it can get very annoying; you just want to clip it back and get it out of your face. I find it helpful to curl your fringe under with your straighteners, it might take a few go's to get it right but the more practice you have, the easier it becomes. 

 Always carry a comb/brush
If there's one thing I hate, it's gaps in my fringe so I always make sure that I carry a brush/comb in my bag in case of emergencies. I'm like that girl in Pitch Perfect who is constantly brushing her fringe with a comb, I always have to make sure that it looks perfect. 

 Hairspray is your friend
Another good way to keep your fringe looking perfect is to hairspray it before you go out. It keeps it in place all day, even in the wind and rain. 

♥ Don't be frightened of it
A lot of people are scared of getting fringes, and true it is a big difference to your appearance, but you've got to embrace it. I promise it'll grow on you, and remember that if you don't like it, you can always grow it out. Google photos of people with fringes and learn what you like, what works and what doesn't. I really take inspiration from Zooey, she's the fringe style icon!

Fringes are a lot of work, more work than people first anticipate, but if you're willing to keep up with the fringe trims and the washing then it'll be one of the best decisions you'll make. I hope this post has given you some hints and tips as to how you can maintain it and if you have any more tips or questions then please leave them in the comments below. 

Lots of Love
Meg
xox


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig