15 October 2016

My Disney Interview

If you watch my YouTube Channel, then you'll have already seen a video covering this topic so I'll let you skip this blog post. However, if you're one of the people who haven't then I thought I'd do a blog post all about my interview at the Disney Store and how I got the job as a Cast Member. If you're new to this blog then you may not know that I actually used to work for Walt Disney Company as a Cast Member in one of their stores here in the UK. It was one of the most amazing and eye-opening experiences I have ever had. I know a lot of my readers will be interested in this blog post so I thought I'd explain the job process to you so that it could potentially help some of you in the future.

The first thing you have to do to get a job in the Disney Store is to apply. I applied by handing my CV into my local Disney Store, but I know that you can apply online too. It was really just that simple, the cast member on the till was lovely and was more than willing to accept my application. It was early September when I handed in my CV, and I was asked a few questions such as where I would be living and if I was available to work over the Christmas Period. My reply was obviously yes! 

It took a good three weeks for them to call me in for an interview. My interview took place at the end of September/beginning of October. I was super shocked to get the call for an interview, I didn't think my CV would have even been considered. My interview was possibly my most favourite part of the application, as weird as that sounds. I know that every Disney interview is different, but I'll go through the questions I was asked and the answers I gave. 

1. Who is your favourite Disney Character and why?
There was a wide variety of answers for this question and remember that you can choose any Disney Character that you please. Just don't choose a Dreamworks character because that'd just be embarrassing, I said Peter Pan because he never grows up and it's so important to have a child's imagination and ability to dream. 

2. What is your proudest/biggest achievement?
Again, there was a wide variety of answers for this question because every potential cast member came from a different background. I said that my biggest achievement was when I ran a drama club for students at my old school and we did a show at the end of the year and to see all the shy kids turn into confident little drama students was incredible. This answer showed that I had worked with children previously and was confident in leading and speaking to people. 

3. What does Disney mean to you?
I didn't want to go into the interview saying 'I'm the biggest Disney fan in the world' and them think 'I can't work with her, she is insane'. With your answer to this question, you want to show your passion for the company but don't act too obsessed because that can come across as a little too strong. I just said that Disney was a form of happiness and escapism. 

The next thing we were asked was our availability because obviously if we weren't available the hours that they wanted us to work then the job wasn't ideal for us. After this, we were invited to go out into the store and pick any item. When we returned back to the interview room, the manager of the store asked us to sell that item to them. I chose a Minnie Mouse plush teddy and attempted to sell it to him by telling him that she was a classic character and it was the perfect gift if he didn't know what to get his niece (which was the situation I was given). They do this to test your selling ability, it's okay you being a Disney fan but if you're not very good at selling things to people then maybe a job in the Disney store isn't best for you. 

We finished the interview and the manager told us that we would hear back the following week to see if we had got the job. Luckily, I got the wonderful phone call to tell me that my interview had been successful and that I was going to be offered a temporary contract working at the Disney Store. I was so happy I could've cried, but I kept myself composed. The manager then asked me the toughest question of all; which character would you like on your cast member badge? After much deliberation, I obviously chose my favourite Peter Pan. 

A few weeks later I was invited to go for an induction. This is just where you sign all of your paper work and agree to your contract as well as get information about health and safety and potentially get a tour around the store you will be working in. I got a chance to meet all the other cast members I would be working alongside as well as get my shifts for the following week. Normally, you will start the week after your induction. 

My first day was one of the most magical days of my life. I remember finishing the shift and thinking 'oh my goodness, I love my job'. I got in for my shift on time and was trained by a lovely girl called Jo. They'll start you off very easily by training you on the tills and then will slowly work you up to working in the stock room and potentially doing night shifts. But honestly, you'll love every single shift you do and being surrounded by the magic everyday is such a wonderful feeling. 

I hope this post helped you if you're thinking of applying for a job in Disney or if you're going for an interview. I'll also link the video I made below if you'd like to watch that too! 


Lots of Love,
Meg
xox

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig