21 October 2016

Is University worth it?

If you're currently in your final year of sixth form then the words 'UCAS' and 'Personal Statement' will cause you to let out a long sigh and prepare yourself for another long lecture about how University is the thing you should be doing. Well, I promise you're not going to get that from me. It's very clear what tonight's blog post is going to be about, but I'm not going to sugar coat it; I'm going to give you my complete honest opinion. 

We have it drummed into us that University is the answer to all our problems; it's what we need to do in order to be successful in life, but is that really all true? I think not. That's very controversial I know but it all depends on the career you would like to go into. If you would like to go into a medical profession, law or teaching then a degree is a necessity for you to be able to get a job in that field. However studying something such as writing, architecture or English doesn't really need a degree; I don't need a degree to prove I can write. I'm literally sat here writing this with no degree and I'm doing fine. 

In my opinion, and I need to make that very clear because I'm speaking solely from my experience and the course that I am on, I think that University is a complete waste of time. If the career you want to go into doesn't need a degree then I would say to go and try and get a job rather than waste three years of your life, and hell of a lot of money, on the shambles that is Unversity. I'm speaking now from a writing point of view but I'm currently paying £9000 to be in Uni for six hours a week and here's the best part; I finish the whole thing in March. If you want to do the maths, then that means that each month I'm at University it costs me £2000. I could think of better things to spend that money on. Not all courses have you in for such a limited amount of time, a lot of my friends get 20 hours of tuition time a week and surely that means they're getting more for their money. I'd really like to know where this £9000 goes because I really don't see any improvements. In my eyes, we pay £9000 for lecturers to forget to show up, computers that always break and a snazzy library card with our photo on it.

Despite my rant about tuition fees, Uni is not the most dreadful experience in the world. It's taught me a lot of social skills and allowed me to meet so many different people. It's also taught me a lot about myself in terms of how I think other people should treat me and my own personal values. Although I can't say that I have loved every second of my time at University, I definitely think it's an eye opening experience. Your location and course are so important; I would recommend to choose a course that you're passionate about but that does come with its risks as you may end up hating something you used to love. I've definitely made this mistake with my course. Choose something that you're interested in but don't choose your hobby; you don't want to associate something that relaxes you with anxiety and stress. 

In a nutshell, I personally don't think University is worth the debt or the stress. I'm too far gone into the University bubble to quit now, and I may do a post on this next year and have completely changed my mind, but for now I really regret my decision. I think colleges should be forced to give you other options aside from University such as apprenticeships and travelling. At the end of the day, all your degree is is a piece of paper with your name on it, it really doesn't mean anything. If your dream career needs you to have a degree then go to University and live your dream, but if it doesn't or if you don't know what you want to do then I would leave it for a few years. University is always going to be there, there's no age limit! 

What are your opinions on University?

Lots of Love,
Meg
xox

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig