19 September 2016

Let's Talk About Love

Love. It's something we all hope to experience at least once in our lifetime. 
There's different types of love; there's the love you feel towards another human being such as family members or friends, there's the love you feel towards your favourite band, tv show or song and there's the love you feel when you become romantically attracted to someone and that's what I wanted to write about. I've been wanting to write this blog post for a very long time, but I just haven't been able to get my words down properly. It tends to end up as some sort of ramble with no structure so I'm going to try and make sure that you understand what's going on here. 

The question I'm going to be asking today is 'Do I believe in Love?' and this is something I've been pondering for quite a while now. I'm at a stage in my life where I'm seeing some of my friends get engaged, even starting families and I still can't decide what I want to do with my future, let alone who I want to spend the rest of my life with. When I was starting to answer this question I thought I would go and look up the definition of the word 'love'. The trouble with this particular emotion is no one truly knows what it feels like because we all have different experiences with it. Some describe 'love' as a fluttering feeling in your stomach whilst others describe it as a sickness. According to the trusty Oxford Collins Dictionary, love is 'A strong feeling of affection'.


The emotional attachment of loving someone is something even the most bitter people want in their life; everyone wants that one person they feel totally comfortable with in every aspect. Personally, I think people overlook that fact that you can love someone with all your heart but that doesn't stop them from hurting you. Once you've been hurt or gone through a really bad break-up with someone you felt a strong emotional connection too it is very hard to believe that love actually exists. 

It's an emotion that is prone to serious change which can explain why people lose that emotional connection with each other and no longer feel like they are 'in love'. I have never been able to understand people who stay together for years and years without getting fed up with each other; I could just never see myself spending every second of everyday with the same person. I don't know if this is because I haven't experienced what it's like to be in love yet, or at least I don't think I have. Sure, I've had relationships here and there but they've all seemed to end in me getting hurt and I always thought love was something that could never hurt you. The way I feel is definitely not due to commitment issues, I just don't like the thought of the labels involved. I hate the thought of belonging to someone, like a pet belongs to it's owner. It's like you have a little bit of your freedom taken away from you and I just don't think I like the idea of that. I don't know. 

Also, I think a lot of us are disappointed with 'love' and the experience it gives us. I'm the kind of girl who will sit and watch rom-com after rom-com wishing that my life would just play out like the movies, but the sad thing is that it really isn't like that. The shy girl doesn't always get the cool guy, you don't just meet the love of your life in a coffee shop and it's definitely not just a walk along the beach. Our expectations are so high because of the things we watch/see in the media and when the actual experience isn't how we envisioned it we feel disappointed and let down. 

They say that you don't know what 'real love' feels like until you've lost the thing or person that you really loved. But even then how do you know that it's 'real love' that your feeling. It's just one of those emotions that can't be described and that's what annoys me the most. You can't just go and google how you're feeling because it won't give you a definite answer. We all think we know how love feels but we don't, none of us do. 

When it comes to my opinions on love, I definitely resemble Summer from '500 Days of Summer'. I just think love is something that is there to hurt you, even if you have a great experience and you've found the love of your life it'll still find a way to teach you a lesson. I think it's really nice to believe in love when it suits you and when the situation is right, the same way it's nice to believe in your horoscope when it relates to you life. 

Speaking of horoscopes, do you ever read yours and wonder if it can really predict your love life? If this whole thing about signs being compatible with other signs is true? Well, I for one believe in it. I know it sounds silly but in most cases it's true, if you do look at most couples their star signs do match. I sound crazy, but it's something that fascinates me about this world. Someone or something out there must be mapping out our lives for us and I like to believe that it's all in the stars. 

I've just read this blog post back and realised that it is basically just my thought process. In terms of the answer to my question; I do hope that love exists and I think it's really nice to believe that there is someone out there for everyone. However, I do think that it's nice to believe love exists when it is convenient to your current situation. 

Do you believe in love? 

Lots of Love,
Meg
xox

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig