13 February 2016

Rocky Horror Show

I'm very late writing this blog post, which annoys me a lot because I wanted to blog about it as soon as we left the show, but here I am, a week late, finally writing about one of the best experiences I've had this year. 

The Rocky Horror Show is something I've always wanted to go and see live. My Mum absolutely loves it, and she always banged on about it when I was little. When the time warp would play at a party, she'd tell us all about how she went to Rocky Horror and dressed up as Frank N. Furter with her friends and how it was one of the best things she'd ever seen. I personally didn't see the hype over it, and I didn't understand why everyone would go dressed up to the theatre. Oh how stupid I was when I was younger. 

The show last came to Liverpool when I was around 12, but mum thought I was too young to go and see it, so decided not to take me. I was going to go in my halloween costume I'd bought for that year; a tutu with spider webs on it, a black t-shirt and my Dr Martins. I can see now why she probably didn't want to take me. So then, when my best friend Liv text me last November and told me she was thinking of booking tickets to go and see it, I squealed with excitement and they were booked within the hour. We didn't quite know what to expect, so we just booked some seats on the back row in case no one in the theatre got up and started dancing, because if there was one thing me and Liv were going to do in that theatre; it was dance. 

We then had a 4 month wait until we were going to see the show, so we spent a lot of our time looking for costumes. In terms of being unorganised, I got my costume a week before we were due to go and see the show, Liv got her costume the day of the show; but all worked out well in the end. Finding the costume was so stressful, we didn't know if people would be going all out or if we'd look stupid being the only people in costume. At one point I remember saying to my mum that I couldn't be bothered anymore and I'd just go in normal clothes. She looked at me, laughed and said "If you go to see Rocky Horror in normal clothes, you'll look stupid. If you do anything, you must dress up". 
So, I raided my wardrobe, found an old black skater skirt, a black top, an apron, some knee high socks and my trusty Dr Martins. There we had it; I was Magenta.

Last week, Liv and I strolled down to the Empire Theatre, both dressed as Magenta, being stared at by people who didn't have a clue what was going on. We were then greeted by hundreds of people dressed as the characters from Rocky Horror. The majority of the males had gone as Frank N. Furter, and they looked incredible. We were amazed, we'd never seen anything like this before. Finding our seats, we settled down and looked at all the people's costumes; some of them had seriously gone all out. My Mum was definitely right, the people who had come in their normal clothes looked absolutely stupid. 

Then, the curtain was opened and we were launched into the weird weird world of Rocky Horror. Immediately, the crowd started to heckle the narrator, and at first we were like "wait, what's going on? should this be happening?" but then we realized it was all just part of the show. I'll give credit to the crowd because some of the stuff they came out with was just hilarious. Everyone was singing along, and the whole theatre stood up to do the Time Warp. This was personally my favourite part of the show; it's my favourite. The actors were absolutely amazing, especially the guy playing Frank N. Furter and the guy playing Riff-Raff. The show ended with the cast doing renditions of the Time Warp and Sweet Transvestite, to which the whole crowd stood up and started singing and dancing. It was unlike anything I'd ever experienced, but I loved it!!

I think the thing with Rocky Horror, is that it doesn't actually have a story line. It's not like Wicked or anything where you have to pay attention to everything that's happening to follow the story. It's just completely bonkers, and I think that's why I loved it so much. However, I don't think the people who were sat next to us knew what they'd come to see; they didn't laugh once and when everyone else was up, dancing and singing, they stood up with their arms folded and didn't move. They were also calling everyone for being dressed up, so I don't think they were too happy with a Magenta on one side of them, and a Riff-Raff on the other. 

When the show had finished, we headed to the bar next door to the theatre for a few drinks before we headed back to my flat. This is where, yet again, we were greeted by the whole cast of Rocky Horror. I would say around 80% of the pub were dressed as Rocky Horror Characters and as I was ordering drinks at the bar, a man dressed as Riff-Raff put his arms around me and screamed "THIS IS MY MAGENTA". It was a great experience. 

The Rocky Horror Show is a touring production around the UK, I'll link the dates HERE so that you can see if they're coming to a theatre near you. If you get a chance to go and see the show, I can't recommend it enough! And you have to go dressed up, no questions asked!

Lots of Love
Meg


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig