18 August 2015

Harper Lee 'Go Set A Watchman' Review

It's the event I've been eagerly anticipating for for over a year now. When Harper Lee announced that she was going to be writing a sequel to 'To Kill A Mockingbird', I had it pre-ordered straight away and it was all I talked about for weeks. Since being introduced to 'To Kill A Mockingbird' by my English teacher who allowed the class to study it as part of our GCSE exams, I fell in love with the book, the characters and Maycomb. Since then, I've read it another five times and I can safely say that it's one of my favourite books, there is no doubt about that.

On July 14th, when the notification came through that the book had downloaded onto my Kindle, I was up straight away, snuggled in a blanket and started to read. The novel follows Scout, the main character both novels. However, this time, instead of being a young girl, she's grown up and has come back to Maycomb from New York to visit her father Atticus. A lot has changed, and there are some massive bombshells; many of my favourite characters from the first novel are no longer with us. It's not just this that has changed though, it seems that society has changed, and along with it, Atticus has changed too. Scout can't understand why Atticus has changed and it's amazing to follow Scout's thoughts and see how she has developed from a little girl with a big imagination into a woman who is so aware about society and is extremely intellectual.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book, and it was lovely to revisit some of the iconic characters who I came to know and love. It's weird to see how they all developed and what they're doing now, because some people are doing things you would never have imagined. However, in comparison to 'To Kill A Mockingbird' I would say that the novel is a little bit of a let down and is nowhere near as good as the original. If I had one complaint about the novel, it would be that we didn't hear anything about Boo Radley, because for me, that's the character who I really wanted to hear about. I thought he would have at least been mentioned just a little bit, but there was nothing about him and it was a big disappointment to me.

If you're going to read the book, the advice I would give you is to read 'To Kill A Mockingbird' first just so that you can get to know the characters and the setting. It'll make the sequel a little bit easier to understand.

'Go Set A Watchman' - Harper Lee
Recommended: YES
Rating: 4 stars

Lots of Love
Meg
xox

Twitter | Tumblr  | Bloglovin' | Pinterest | Instagram
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig