7 June 2015

Seventeen things I learnt whilst I was 17

Welcome to the scary part of my life.
On Tuesday, it's my 18th birthday which means I'm no longer classed as a child. There's no doubt that I'll probably still feel the same and turning 18 won't make me grow up, but I'm gutted that I won't be able to get a 'child' ticket on the bus anymore!

I've been reflecting on this past year being 17 and I've realised how much has changed in my life. I saw my lovely friend Kathryn do this post and I wanted to do it too. So less of the waffling from me, here's seventeen things I learned being 17. 

1. Everything Happens For A Reason

I know I say this a lot but I can't stress how important it is. So much has happened this year but as I've looked back, I'm glad certain things didn't work out.  Life has a funny way of working things out better than you could ever imagine. 

2. Do What YOU Want To Do

This year, I had to make a big decision regarding my educational future at University. I knew what subject I wanted to study and instead of choosing a subject that would get me a job, I chose a subject that I enjoyed. Although people disagreed with what I wanted to do and told me it was a silly decision, I stayed true to myself. It's my future, no one else's. 

3. Exams Don't Define You

Just because I might fail an exam doesn't mean that I can't do that subject; as long as I know I've worked hard and tried my best, then that's all I can do.

4. Don't Change Yourself Just To Impress A Guy

If a guy truly likes you, they'll like you for you and not someone you pretend to be. Don't try and be someone you're not. If he can't accept you for you then he's really not worth your time.

5. Real Friends Are Always There

A true friend is one who you don't have to see all the time but when you meet up, it's like you never stopped speaking. Make an effort to see your friends and if it's a one-sided effort, don't bother.

6. If You're Not ready, Say No.

The amount of times, especially in this past year, that people have asked me to do things that I didn't want to do because I didn't feel ready is unbelievable. If you are not ready to do anything, even if your friends are pressuring you to do it, say no. 

7. Being On Your Own Isn't Always A Bad Thing

It's okay to want to spend time on your own. I'm a person who likes to be surrounded by other people, but sometimes when you need some alone time, that's okay too. If everyone else is going out and you don't want to go, then don't go. It's okay to just want to chill.

8. It's Better To Regret Something You Did Than To Regret Something You Didn't Do

Unless it's like drugs or something, definitely don't do that. But I promise you that you will enjoy life a lot more the more you say 'yes' to things. I've started to say 'yes' to a lot more things and it's impacted my life in such a positive way.

9. The Stage Is Where I Belong

I've had a lot of doubters during my time being a drama student but after doing auditions and doing a lot of performing this year, I've realised that the stage is where I belong. It's where my heart is and I'm going to continue doing what I love.

10. We All Develop At Our Own Pace

If someone else is doing something that you're not doing yet then don't worry. We all develop at different paces. Never compare yourself to other people.

11. 'Kerplunk' And 'Snazzy' Are My Favourite Words

I don't know what it is about them but I like them a lot.

12. Face Your Fears

I have a terrible fear of planes, so this year I've booked to go away on holiday, on a plane, with my friends. It was going to happen someday and I'm learning to deal with my anxiety. The only way to get rid of your fears is to face them.

13. I Want To Publish A Novel One Day

I've decided that I want to publish a book one day. I don't know when, I don't know what it will be about but it's my dream. Writing is what I do, it's the only thing that allows me to let my imagination flow, to let me create a world that I wish existed. I want to share my world with other people and let them escape too!

14. Never Be Ashamed Of The Things You Like

It's no secret that my favourite genre of music is swing. I love Frank Sinatra. Even though this isn't conventional for a seventeen-year-old, and I love other music too, I've had people laugh at me for admitting this in the past. But what's the problem? Frank is amazing.

15. My Family Are So Important, Make Time To See Them

I don't feel like I see my family as much as I should and this year, I met family members I never knew existed. It meant the world to me to see them and to actually find out who they were, what they did and how they looked. Making time to see my family is so important, so it's something I'm going to be doing more of.

16. Walking The Dog Is Relaxation

My dog is like a mini human, I love that little fluffball to pieces. When I'm revising for exams, I find that walking the dog helps me to wind down. I love taking him out, it's such a good pass time and it allows me to speak to new people.

17. Start Every Day With A Smile

Waking up with a positive attitude and positive intentions is so important. I've found that waking up everyday with a smile and seeing the positive side to things has really improved my outlook on life.

Lots of Love,
Meg
xxx
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig